What is 'Fair Label'?
‘Fair Label’ is an eco-certification scheme, which specializes in the assessment, monitoring & certification of sustainable travel facilities, products, and services.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Step 1 – We reach out to candidates who can help us identify and connect with local-based sustainable travel hosts.Prospective candidates are required to complete FJ’s free-of-charge online eco-certification course as a prerequisite. Graduates of this course will earn the title of ‘Fair Agent’.
- Step 2 – Fair agents are authorized to audit the hosts via a physical inspection of the site, activity, or service. They will procure evidence, conduct interviews and actively correspond with our team to ensure certification standards are met.
- Step 3 – If the host meets our list of sustainability standards, they are awarded with the Fair Label eco-certification.
- Step 4 – Certified hosts will receive bookings via our website & app. Hosts are actively monitored by our agents, and are subject to a re-evaluation every 6 months to ensure standards are maintained.
- Step 5 – Each booking made via our website will generate a 10-15% commission from the host. The funds from this commission will support:
- FJ’s operation costs (10%),
- Community project(s) endorsed by the host (40%)
- The agent responsible for certifying and monitoring the host’s performance (50%).
BENEFITS OF FAIR LABEL
- It will create socio-economic benefits for individuals & communities through employment and income earning opportunities.
- It will generate direct income for the conservation of protected areas.
- It will promote sustainable use of natural resources, and reduce threats to biodiversity.
- It will help travelers to distinguish genuine sustainable businesses from others that make misleading claims.
- It will help protect inhabitants & visitors against violations of human/civil rights and corruption. It will also discourage the use of animals for entertainment purposes, especially if a risk of unnecessary suffering, disease or death is present.
- It will celebrate and protect the culture and heritage of a destination without interfering with its practices.
- It will give Small & Medium Scale Enterprises (SME’s) a chance to stand out in the market.
- It will deliver authentic & high-quality visitor experiences and effective visitor interpretation programs which will contribute to conservation advocacy and raise visitor awareness of both global and national/regional environmental issues.
- Lucrative commissions will encourage Fair Agents to scout and certify new sustainable businesses, whilst monitoring and promoting existing ones.
DO I QUALIFY FOR THE 'FAIR LABEL' CERTIFICATION?
If your business is able to meet the conditions we’ve listed below, you may be eligible for our certification.
You can apply for our label by filling out the application at the bottom of the page.
HOW DO I BECOME A CERTIFICATION AGENT?
Please send us your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org